Case Studies: Chronic Diseases and Vaccines
Researchers around the world are taking renewed interest in the impact of metals such as mercury, aluminum, cadmium, and lead on the rising prevalence of autism. The Dwoskin Family Foundation seeks and publicizes relevant research by respected institutions and laboratories to highlight the global interest in examining factors involved in this growing child health crisis.
Internationally, scientists are examining the impact of metals on a wide array of health issues including Alzheimer’s, neuroimmune developmental conditions, and autoimmune diseases. Contrary to media reports and statements by public health officials discouraging a link between vaccines and autism, new research demonstrates causal links that should be further investigated.
The studies below are part of this investigative process.
Aluminum Adjuvant Linked to Gulf War Illness Motor Neuron Death in Mice
Published: February 2007
Five researchers, in which included one CMSRI funded scientist, Christopher Shaw, studied Gulf War Illness, (GWI) which affects a large percentage of veterans of the 1991 conflict, where they compiled strong evidence that the disorder was inflicted by an aluminum adjuvant found in the anthrax vaccine. Those suffering from GWI experience symptoms of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis and other neurological disorders where the environmental factors of the vaccine’s potentially toxic components stem from the aluminum hydroxide and squalene adjuvants.
They studied lab mice that were injected with the adjuvants at equivalent doses to those given to the US military service personnel. The mice were subjected to motor and cognitive behavioral tests over a 6 month period post injections. The researchers noted the following:
- Behavioral testing in the treatment group showed major progressive decreases in strength measured by a wire-mesh hanging test of a 50% final deficit.
- Significant cognitive deficits in a water-maze test with multiple errors compared to initial testing.
- Aluminum-treated mice displayed a large amount of motor neuron loss and increased the numbers of astrocytes by 350% in the lumbar spinal cord.
The results from the mice strengthen the suggestion that the adjuvants played a vital role in the neurological disorders the veterans experienced after their exposure to the aluminum adjuvants. The researchers concluded that the aluminum adjuvant in some of the cognitive symptoms is directly associated with GWI and may have played an additional role for the combination of the adjuvants in general.
Aluminum in Human Breast Tissue
Published: 12 June 2007
Dr. Christopher Exley and his research partners conducted a study that examined 17 women from the UK who had breast cancer. During their study, they examined the potential factors that would have caused the women to develop breast cancer. The major findings of the study included:
- High concentrations of aluminum in the cancerous breast tissue were found and then traced from the region under the arm, possibly stemming from the use of antiperspirants formulated with aluminum.
- The distribution of the aluminum content indicated that the spread of the cancer followed from the outer (axilla and lateral) region to the inner (middle and medial) region of the breast.
These findings suggest that toxic aluminum concentrate found in the breast tissue was a contributing factor in the cancers development through the daily application of antiperspirant.
Aluminum and Alzheimer’s Disease: After a Century of Controversy, Is there a Plausible Link?
Published: 12 November 2010
Lucija Tomljenovic, a funded CMSRI researcher, took a look at a plausible link between aluminum and Alzheimer’s Disease. The research highly suggests that the onset of Alzheimer’s Disease is connected to aluminum which is the most abundant neurotoxin metal in the world. Aluminum is widely bioavailable to humans and is repeatedly shown to accumulate in Alzheimer’s Disease-susceptible neuronal foci. Since the first recordings and data of Alzheimer’s Disease, back in 1911, evidence has shown that chronic aluminum intoxication has played a significant role in the development of the disease. And around the same time, aluminum was introduced into many bio-derived products like vaccines which links it directly to the time table presented. Major findings in Tomljenvoic’s research include:
- Very small amounts of aluminum can produce adverse neurotoxic effects
- Aluminum sequesters different transportation mechanisms to actively cross brain barriers
- Chronic exposure to aluminum in small amounts overtime forms its damaging accumulation in brain tissues
The link between aluminum and Alzheimer’s Disease is apparent and immediate steps should be taken to lessen exposure to aluminum to reduce the aggravating and major factor in the development of the disease.
Aluminum Vaccine Adjuvants: Are They Safe?
Published: June 2011
Dr. Lucija Tomljenovic and Dr. Christopher Shaw, funded CMSRI researchers, compiled a chart listing various aluminum compounds, their doses, how they were subjected to it and the species that were exposed to it. It varied from infants to adults to the elderly to animals. They also noted the neurodevelopmental adverse effects which all had negative reactions. They noted the ill-health effects of aluminum and some of their key findings included:
- Patients with renal failure receiving chronic dialysis treatment with aluminum derived dialysis fluid suffered from sudden and worsening symptoms after dialysis treatment began. Some symptoms include speech abnormality, tremors, impaired psychomotor control, memory loss and more. Once aluminum was removed from the dialysis fluid, those symptoms were eliminated.
The purpose of the research was to point out the adverse effects aluminum has on the body yet the compound is still formulated in things like vaccines and other medical treatments. The paper provides the much-needed framework regarding the safety of aluminum and how it can adversely affect those subjected to it.
Do Aluminum Vaccine Adjuvants Contribute To The Rising Prevalence Of Autism?
Published: 23 August 2011
Two funded CMSRI researchers ask the hard hitting question if aluminum vaccine adjuvants contribute to the rising prevalence of autism and raise significant concern over aluminum adjuvant safety. Dr. Lucija Tomljenovic and Dr. Christopher Shaw assess the adjuvant toxicity in children through two key points that signify the major health risks associated with the ingredient.
- Children’s unique physiology is vastly different in the way it reacts and absorbs to foreign stimuli when compared to adults. When exposed to vaccines with aluminum adjuvants, they’re more vulnerable to toxic results as their bodies have not fully developed.
- Cognitive impairment and autoimmunity problems from aluminum exposure in a few vaccines has been documented as some side effects when administered to adults; but current pediatric vaccine schedules continue to push aluminum formulated vaccines, often containing 18 different aluminum adjuvanted formulas.
These two key points draws the question as to why, after well-documented and reported ill-reactions from adults, are continuing to permit aluminum adjuvants on children. With evidence from countless hours of aluminum toxicity research in the body, vaccine efficacy needs to be rigorously reevaluated as it’s causing disruption in pediatric populations with connections to autism.
Mechanisms of Aluminum Adjuvant Toxicity and Autoimmunity in Pediatric Populations
Published: 10 January 2012
Two funded researchers of CMSRI conducted a study regarding the immune challenges during early development. During the study, Christopher Shaw and Lucija Tomljenovic pointed out the differences in the physiology of children and adults while receiving the same dosage amounts of vaccine. The major conclusions of the study included:
- Children who are vaccinated with toxic aluminum adjuvants have a higher risk than adults in developing impairments in the brain.
- Children continue to be regularly exposed to much higher levels of aluminum adjuvants than adults because of the difference in their physiology.
These findings suggest that the lack of research conducted over the use of aluminum adjuvants in vaccines is dangerous in continued used. In addition, infants and young children should not be considered ‘small adults’ when undergoing vaccination.
Death after Quadrivalent Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Vaccination: Causal or Coincidental?
Published: 4 October 2012
Funded CMSRI researchers studied post-mortem brain tissue specimens from two young women who suffered from cerebral vasculitis-type symptoms after receiving vaccinations from the HPV vaccine Gardasil. Their major findings of the study were:
- Brain sections were composed of HPV-16L1 and HPV-18L1 antigens which are present in Gardasil
- Autoimmune vasculitis potentially triggered by the cross-reactive HPV-16L1 antibodies binding to the wall of cerebral blood vessels
What this study suggests is that the antigens found in the HPV vaccine may have held a role in the cerebral-vasculitis-type symptoms resulting in the two young women’s deaths.
Estimation of Autistic Children by Metallomics Analysis
Published: 4 February 2013
Researchers at two laboratories in Tokyo, Japan, used a process called metallomics analytics to identify metals in children with autism. For the study, scalp hair concentrations of 1,967 children – ages 0-15 – were tested for 26 different trace elements. The major findings of the study included:
- Zinc, magnesium and calcium deficiencies were found in 584 children (29.7%), 347 (17.6%) and 114 (5.8%) subjects respectively.
- Excessive amounts of aluminum, cadmium and lead were found in 339 (17.2%), 168 (8.5%) and 94 (4.8%) individuals respectively and 2.8% or less from a mercury and arsenic burden.
These findings suggest that toxic metal burdens in infants may play a role in autistic disorders and that metallomics may be a useful early screening method for detecting and preventing neurodevelopmental disorders.
Glyphosate’s Suppression of Cytochrome P450 Enzymes and Amino Acid Biosynthesis by the Gut Microbiome: Pathways to Modern Diseases
Published: 18 April 2013
Researchers, Stephanie Seneff and Anthony Samsel, conducted a review and study of glyphosate, the active ingredient in Roundup®, which is one of the most popular herbicides used around the world. This ingredient is claimed to be minimally toxic to humans according to the herbicide industry but research suggests otherwise. Residues of the ingredient can be found on main foods mainly consumed by a Western Diet that is comprised of sugar, corn, soy and wheat. These foods with the glyphosate residues can have damaging effects on the body.
- Glyphosate enhances the damaging effects of food borne chemical residues and environmental toxins.
- The negative impact on the body slowly develops over time as inflammation damages cellular systems throughout the body.
- Consequences of the manifestation in cellular systems can result in gastrointestinal disorders, diabetes, obesity, heart disease, autism, depression, infertility, cancer and even Alzheimer’s disease.
The researchers explain that the adverse effects of glyphosate and its ability to induce disease is a “textbook example” of exogenous semiotic entropy: the disruption of homeostasis by environmental toxins.
Aluminum in The Central Nervous System (CNS): Toxicity in Humans and Animals, Vaccine Adjuvants, and Autoimmunity
Published: 23 April 2013
Christopher Exley and Lucija Tomljenovic, funded CMSRI researchers, looked at the ways aluminum in the central nervous system effected Alzheimer’s patients who sought treatment through dialysis-associated encephalopathy (DAE). DAE fluids were being formulated with high concentrations of aluminum. The patient’s suffered from insufficient kidney function and received dialysis fluids for treatment but it was making their symptoms worse.
- The treatment lead to speech abnormalities, tremors, impaired psychomotor control, memory loss and many other behavioral changes.
- Conditions would typically progress into coma and death.
Conducting further review, aluminum was removed from the dialysis fluid and significant improvement of the patients conditions followed. DAE clinically vanished once aluminum was removed from the dialysis solutions. This suggests that the aluminum found in the DAE fluid was a contributing factor in the adverse side effects.
Human Papilloma Virus Vaccine and Primary Ovarian Failure: Another Facet of the Autoimmune/Inflammatory Syndrome Induced by Adjuvants
Published: 25 June 2013
Four researchers studied three women who developed secondary amenorrhea following HPV vaccinations. The researchers Serena Colafrancesco, Carlo Perricone, Lucija Tomljenovic and Yehuda Shoenfeld all noted that the issues were not resolved after treatments that contained hormone replacement therapies. Secondary amenorrhea can deter women from having children and stops them from having normal menstrual cycles for periods of 6 months or longer.
- All three women suffered from common post-vaccination symptoms that included nausea, headache, arthralgia and sleep disturbances.
- Auto-antibodies were found in serological evaluations (anti-ovarian and anti-thyroid).
The researchers concluded that the HPV vaccine triggered an autoimmune response. This response caused the women to suffer from secondary amenorrhea and other adverse side effects. This study suggests that there is strong evidence HPV can trigger life-disabling autoimmune conditions and it adds to the number of similar reports already documented in this growing epidemic.
Human Exposure to Aluminum
Published: 19 August 2013
Dr. Christopher Exley, Professor of Bio-inorganic Chemistry at Keele University in the UK and funded CMSRI researcher, published a critical review of human exposure to aluminum in the Environmental Science Processes & Impacts journal that provided a holistic interpretation of aluminum’s negativity on the human body. Dr. Exley pin points the ‘body burden’ of aluminum, where aluminum atoms are associated with the body at any given time.
- The ‘body burden’ associated with aluminum includes the air we breathe, some foods in our diets, topically applied cosmetics/skin care products and medicines like vaccines.
- The uptake impact route (skin, mouth, nose, ears, etc.) where aluminum enters the body subsequently changes the physiology and function of those external surfaces of the body. For instance, when aluminum enters the nasal cavity from airborne particles, it dissolves into the mucus layer where it travels through the respiratory system and particulates into the brain.
- With numerous studies indicating adverse effects of aluminum when it attaches to brain tissue, the ‘body burden’ concept sheds light on the fact that aluminum is dangerous, not only in vaccine exposure, but everything else it’s found in. This suggests stronger evidence that it’s an environmentally-derived problem that stimulates the onset of chronic health conditions and autoimmune diseases.
Dr. Exley calls for the extensive study of aluminum’s significance on human health. Two important aspects need to be rendered together to connect the dangers of aluminum: “…it is completely non-essential with no extant organism requiring aluminum to complete its life cycle” and “…it becomes covertly toxic, the rational for examining human exposure to aluminum.” Dr. Exley concludes that the problem with aluminum is not knowing what might be a safe exposure and recognizing what could be an unsafe exposure which is why substantial and long term research is needed.
The Aluminum Content of Infant Formulas Remain Too High
Published: 8 October 2013
High levels of aluminum content was found in 30 samples of infant formula that can be regularly purchased from retailers in the U.K. Dr. Christopher Exley, a funded CMSRI researcher, studied each sample and tested them immediately upon opening them in accordance to the manufacturers’ instructions. The significant findings of this case included:
- According to European Union Standards, drinking water may have up to 50 μg/L of concentrated aluminum and combining powdered infant formula leads to increased aluminum concentration.
- All 30 samples had at least double the amount of concentrated aluminum in the formulas.
The high concentration levels suggest that the aluminum exposure at such a young age can negatively affect neurological development. Infants who develop chronic health conditions like autism may be subjected to it through these types of formulas where high concentrations of aluminum exist.
A Case-Control Study of Quadrilvalent Human Papillomavirus Vaccine-Associated Autoimmune Adverse Events
Published: 8 December 2014
David A. Geier and Mark R. Geier, a father and son researcher team, examined the vaccine adverse event reporting system (VAERS) database to evaluate the threatening concerns over the HPV4 vaccination. The researchers studied data that was collected from January 2006 through December 2012 to pinpoint serious autoimmune adverse events (SAAEs) from women between the ages of 18 to 39 years old.
- After analyzing the data from the VAERS database, 22,011 adverse events were reported in females who were administered HPV4 or any other vaccine.
- The SAAE cases resulted in the following outcomes: gastroenteritis, arthritis, Guillain-Barre syndrome, systemic lupus erythematosus, vasculitis, alopecia, and central nervous system conditions.
The resulting conclusion of the study provides significant epidemiological evidence of a causal relationship between the HPV4 vaccine administration and SAAEs. With the consistent number of previous case-series of SAAEs documented following the vaccination of HPV4, it shows a biological plausibility of its induction.